Hello @diwz nice to meet you
As our founder @Siraj_Mahmood explained in his Seo training videos that Seo is not about tactics its about what you think from what perspective.
Seo = Propaganda = Publicity = Marketing (All are associate with each other)
Exactly, you are responsible for your clients asked questions and also responsible to remove his hesitation.
Yes, you should ask following questions before taking any project or contract such as:
- Your Website Current Statistics?
- Your Website Current Alexa/Google Rank?
- How much budget you have for Seo/month? (Seo is about consistency not about once in a lifetime)
- What's your expectation in return?
- Do you already did that before (SEO)?
- Have you doing any link building strategy?
- Have your website is penalized or not by search engine?
- Are you already using any social media strategy to promote your business?
- What platform you are utilizing to measure your website strength?
- How you are tracking you incoming visitors and their conversation?
Above points are highlighted and major categorized in Seo field.